My Blog List

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Repetition Repetition Repetition

Artist: Robert Motherwell
Painting: Elegy to the Spanish Republic
Abstract Expressionism
I feel this piece is slightly more harmonious. It has a good flow through it. When I first saw this piece it looked very pattern like. It repeats not only thing but two. It made it seem more interesting to me because it has this break between each pattern where the other pattern is.

Omar Chacon
Untitled
 Acrylic on Archival cardboard
2005
This piece is in between harmony and chaos. There are so many bright colors that draw you in, but the colors can also work against the piece if done wrong. When I first saw this piece I saw the repetition in the way paint is done. it is the same way all across the board. The way the paint is going also makes you follow it like it is falling off the board. So you could always say it has closure along with movement/motion.

Minimalist

Sol Lewitt
Concrete blocks and mortor
1999
This piece I believe is very harmonious. It is very balanced out. It also looks very well thought out and very well placed. Like it was calculated to be just like that. This piece is so huge and stable. You can definitely tell it is repetitive just with the over use of concrete blocks stacked up. They are the exact same in size, shape and color.
Allan McCollum
Plaster Surrogates
1982/84
I believe it is balanced between harmony and chaos. It isn't working for each other but it also isn't working against each other. When I saw this picture I thought SQUARE project all over again. The good thing about this is how it is done. It is repeating the square shape, but in different sizes. So it's like it is done differently. Having the tiny squares in with this gives it extra. You actually have to look to see them. It is not like you are looking at the same square over and over again which can get very old.

Post Minimalist
Won Ju Lim
Blue 1
2003
35 Plexiglass pieces, 1 light box, and 5 flourescent lamps
I think this piece is very harmonious. It is not only repeating in color, but in how many things there are. It repeats the glass and the lamps. I think the light in the sculpture adds to this piece so much more. It allows you to see more of the glass then with out it. The piece really stood out to me just from the way it looks.
Richard Serra
Inverted House of Cards
1969
4 pieces of steel
It looks more on the the side of chaotic just because the way it is placed. it looks like it could fall at any moment. It is repeating the use of steel even though it is only four pieces. To me this piece doesn't really look like cards, but the way they are stacked is like how you could stack playing cards.




No comments:

Post a Comment