My Blog List

Monday, October 18, 2010

Non Representational Sculpture

I think this project so far was the cheapest one I have done. I didn't pay for anything I used in this project. I found that using natural objects from outside can make an out piece so much better. I used the rocks from outside the WASH building to make my non representational piece. At first I didn't know what to do, but as I began to look at these rocks I found them more and more interesting because of how they were shaped or what was one them. In some if you look closely you can see imprints of where sea shells used to be or fossilized sea shells that are now rocks. I decided that I was going to make a shape that showed off the way these rocks looked. Instead of making the shape straight I gave it curve to have more flair to it. Then i began placing the rocks to have the more interesting parts on them stand out and to where the bigger more stable rocks were at the bottom. Now Bill told me in class that my piece reminded him of a fort wall and told me to put tiny soldiers and all on it, but that is not what this piece was about. It was to show off the beauty and natural being of the rock. To have surprise after surprise in it. To make you look and keep looking, searching trying to find the next thing that I put in there. The piece of plywood under my project is very useful. I knew that I would be having to move this piece so I needed something very sturdy to hold my project. I had a choice to make whether to keep the wood at its' natural state or spray paint it black. I chose black to go against the white of the rocks. Now I think that both spray painted or being natural works for the piece. What I really wish I could have done and would still love to do is mount the piece on the wall, but I am not quite sure how to do that without my project falling to pieces. I also think in order to get a better view of it it shouldn't be hung up because it is meant for you to walk around it.





No comments:

Post a Comment